I need some general advice for treating some wood?

So I have a stick. it's not just any stick, it's a stick that's very special to me. I've had it since I was twelve, and I've always called it my "Wizard Staff". It's like an 8 foot tall stick that looks like Gandalf the Grey's staff and it's pretty sweet. I've... show more So I have a stick.

it's not just any stick, it's a stick that's very special to me. I've had it since I was twelve, and I've always called it my "Wizard Staff". It's like an 8 foot tall stick that looks like Gandalf the Grey's staff and it's pretty sweet.

I've found it once more since it was hiding in the garage for a few years, and I was wondering. What would be the best thing to help keep this thing preserved, sturdy, and save to hold? Meaning that it's smooth and sanded and whatnot. I literally found this stick off of a tree in the snow one year.

I'm not sure if I want to stain it a color that's TOO stark, I honestly can't really see it as any other color than the sunbleached greyish color that it is. But I do want to have some method of making the wood more sturdy, since there are some pretty thin parts towards the top that i really really don't want to get damaged.

What would be the best course of action for this?