Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentImmigration · 2 years ago

Will I be able to return to the US?

Few months ago I travelled out of the US to Senegal as a US Citizen but with out a return ticket since I had no idea when I was going to be done with what I went for.. Am planing on returning to the US soon but am worried I may not be allowed in.. I have my passport which is still valid but is there a scenario where I won’t be able to re enter the US just because I didn’t get a return ticket when I left initially

Favorite Answer

Obviously you are going to need to buy a return ticket before you can return. And you have to make sure you buy it in time to get back before your passport expires.

But no, it's not a problem that you didn't have the return ticket when you left.

• james

You are a U.S. citizen. They must let you return except in a few rare cases. like you caught something overseas & no one knows what it is. Then you would go under quarantine status. You broke no law. You did buy your exit ticket to return. That makes it a mute point. The law is not that you need a return ticket to the U.S. But that you need a exit ticket from were you visit. Next time buy a cheap throw away ticket to some place close & cheap to were you go. If you don't know return date. Then you have not broke there law.

Check online.

As a US citizen, with a US passport, you'll have no problem re-entering.

The return ticket would only be an issue to another country's government (for example you'd have probably been denied entry to the UK without one, as US people are an overstay risk), but the US government wouldn't care.

• Maxi

As a US citizen, America can't refuse to let you back in

If you are a US citizen with currently valid US passport, you will be allowed to reenter. Whether or not you purchased a round-trip ticket is totally irrelevant.

you should be able to if you have your passport

As a US citizen you can return at any time

• Edwena

Go to the airline ticket counter and buy a ticket using your passport. Ask them if there is any problem getting on the plane. If you can get on the plane and land in the USA and you are a citizen, they will let you in. Your passport is all they need, but they have a dozen different ways to identify an American citizen coming home.

• Greg

How would you come up with such a crazy idea?