Can I change my dependent status for financial aid last minute?

The last 4 years I have claimed a dependent status for the fafsa. But the thing is I could claim an independent status because I was in a legal guardianship from 8 years old to 18 years old. I didn’t for other personal reasons. But now I’m trying to finish my degree and I don’t have enough financial aid. I know... show more The last 4 years I have claimed a dependent status for the fafsa. But the thing is I could claim an independent status because I was in a legal guardianship from 8 years old to 18 years old. I didn’t for other personal reasons. But now I’m trying to finish my degree and I don’t have enough financial aid. I know that independent students get more and I could use the help. I have the proper documentation, but I want to know if the financial aid office would accept this as I haven’t brought it up in the last few years?