Husband wants to pierce our daughter's ears?!?

My husband and I are at odds about getting our daughter's ears pierced. Ever since we learned the gender, we have been discussing it. As he is from a culture that believes in piercing girls' ears in infancy (often within months of birth), he is of the opinion that we should get it done. His daughters from... show more My husband and I are at odds about getting our daughter's ears pierced. Ever since we learned the gender, we have been discussing it. As he is from a culture that believes in piercing girls' ears in infancy (often within months of birth), he is of the opinion that we should get it done. His daughters from his first marriage got theirs pierced in infancy, but I am adamant against it. I would have no issue if there was religious significance, but it's not. It's purely cultural.

I do not think it is right to make that type of decision for a child. If my daughter comes to me at a later time and asks for pierced ears, I'd take her myself once I was sure she understood the work involved in caring for pierced ears. My husband doesn't understand what the big deal is. He says if I'm willing to take her when she asks, why should we wait.

Except he's missing the point of the child consenting. I don't understand why we can't wait. If it's supposed to be permanent, why not wait until the child is old enough to decide instead of making an executive decision for the child and have them regret it and let the holes close up later?

Who is right here?
Update: I don't wear earrings. I have no desire to. I never got my ears pierced because my mother left the decision to me. I don't plan on ever getting it done. But if my daughter wanted them done, I'd gladly take her. I just don't understand why we can't wait until our daughter said "I want my... show more I don't wear earrings. I have no desire to. I never got my ears pierced because my mother left the decision to me. I don't plan on ever getting it done. But if my daughter wanted them done, I'd gladly take her. I just don't understand why we can't wait until our daughter said "I want my ears pierced" on her own instead of forcibly shoving an unnecessary needle into a child's still-developing ear without their consent.