How long can a person go to jail for multiple crimes? (see details below for more info)?

The reason I'm asking this is because writing a fanfiction and I can't find any information on the subject. And whatever information I do find goes over my head, for some reason. The character in question is an alcoholic who's parental rights have been involuntarily terminated, and he is not standing for that. Here's what they charge him with when they catch him:

-DWI (third offense)

-Driving without a license

-Wreckless driving

-Resisting arrest

-Parental abduction

And I'm not sure if they can get him on child endangerment charges or not, considering he crashes the car and his kid gets a concussion and a fractured arm in the aftermath (of course, he *was* drunk at the time of the accident). I also don't think they can send him to jail for wreckless driving or not, either. I don't want to let this character off the hook, either. I know each state has their own laws, but in the particular TV shows I'm using in my fanfic, the locations are fictional. Thanks for any help in either answering this, or helping to point me in the right direction.

Favorite Answer

Child endangerment for DUI with a kid in the car. You’re having trouble with penalties because it depends on the prosecutor and the defense attorney. Sentencing can run consecutive (one after the other) or concurrent (at the same time) meaning he gets out after the longest sentence. This is further complicated by parole. A parole hearing is generally given after 1/3 of the sentence, but that doesn’t mean he’ll get out. It’s only the hearing. Having concurrent sentencing might void a parole though.

• Athena

You are not sentenced for multiple crimes.

You are sentenced for a crime and each offense may have to be tried separately.

• Bruce

Each crime has its own sentence. If you commit multiple crimes, you simply add all the sentences together.

However, it is common to sentence someone to one of the more severe crime and dismiss the rest, or simply read them in.

The person CAN be sentenced to the MAXIMUM for each charge to be served consecutively (one after the other). Without both the jurisdiction AND details of the actions leading to the charges, NO ONE can tell you the range of sentences available for ANY one charge.

• Mark

Yes, they can, and often do,.

(I think you mean "reckess" driving, not "wreckless" driving, which would mean something like "driving without causing a wreck".)