Sound not coming from computer monitor?

So basically, I just got a used Dell u2415 computer monitor, and it has an hdmi input. I plugged in my snes mini, and video comes out. I know the monitor doesn't have built in speakers, so I got an external monitor speaker and plugged it in. It isn't making any noise. I don't know if since its used it's just not working, or there's something I don't know. Help!

Edit: So I need to clarify that I'm NOT using this for a computer. I'm using this for gaming consoles, also, the computer has a 3.5 mm output jack, and the speakers are plugged into both to the monitor and an electrical source.

Edit 2: I have googled the answer many times and gotten no answer. Also the speakers volume is at the max volume.

Turn the sound up.

this is an issue for google, my friend

• art

external speakers are usually plugged into the desktop tower, either into a usb port or directly into the computers sound card, many external speakers also need to be plugged into and electrical socket to supply power to them