Is the correct word cook or bake a cake?

Can I say I cook a cake?

22 Answers

Relevance
  • Jeff
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

Bake, whoever says cook needs to be fed to the sharks.

• 2 years ago

You could say "cooked a cake" and that is grammatically correct, but with breads, cakes, cookies etc. it sounds very strange and stilted to native speakers. You should always use "baked". You also never "roast" cakes, breads or deserts.

With meats and vegetables, to avoid confusion you should use "baked" or "roasted" when referring to cooking them in an oven, unless it is either obvious or very unimportant.

I am cooking potatoes au gratin for dinner.

But

I am baking potatoes for dinner

or

I am roasting a few ears of corn for dinner.

• 2 years ago

One bakes a cake. (Cookies, brownies, and pastries too.) The appetizers, and main course of a meal are "cooked" broiled, fried, etc. Deserts are generally baked.

• Anonymous
    2 years ago

You could say to cook a cake (people would understand what you meant) but it sounds better to BAKE a cake

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • John P
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

In British English, and Australian English, (and, I think, in North American English) I only know "bake a cake".

• 2 years ago

baking is a specific type of cooking. Bread-like products are baked, not cooked. Bake bread, pastries, cake, etc but not veggies or meats. You can say cook but you might get an odd response. People will understand but be puzzled why you would cook instead of bake such a thing. It is a bit of an odd thing, because if you do not finish the cake (say there is still liquid inside when you stop baking; you stop before the cake is fully done) then we would normally talk about the cake being undercooked rather than underbaked.

• Mike
      Lv 7
      2 years agoReport

That's a half baked example.

• Anonymous
    2 years ago

Bake

• Cara
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

You either bake or make a cake.

• 2 years ago

Bake

• Petter
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

You can say fake a cake.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.