Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 2 years ago

Liberals and conservatives: Can't we all agree that what America really needs is thought police?

Having though police would enable us to regulate what opinions people are allowed to have. We could punish people who hold horrible opinions, such as:

"Child molestation is perfectly acceptable!"

"My opinions are always right! Everybody who disagrees is stupid!"

"My race is superior to other races!"

What do you think?

no

Why? Americans don't think

No

• Mike W

Sure, and while we're at it we really need to activate the Happiness Patrol. Thoughts will be regulated and happiness will be enforced. Anyone who isn't happy will be punished.

Looks like you've had a little bit too much to think.

1984...

• mac

it would lead to very bad things...goverment control on a repressive scale...you would loose all your rights...and possibly ...your life.....this is an incredibly bad idea......

Dick Cheney, is that you?

Do you want to start an apocalypse? Because that's how you start an apocalypse.

• Quay

We already essentially have "thought police" in the sense that their is no such thing as free-speech absolutism. I cannot say "I'm going to murder the president" legally. Just as I can't threaten American Airlines and make bomb threats. Speech HAS to be limited somewhat to protect the safety of people. Ideas, however, should be discussed publicly and should not be censored by university or employment companies. And most of the violence toward free-speech when it comes to ideas is undeniably coming from the left. Everywhere where groups like antifa go, there is violence.

Freedom of speech exists to protect speech that offends us.

It's not intended to protect speech we all agree with, because no one would try to ban that anyways.

It's there to protect speech we don't like, speech that's offensive and upsetting.