How about starting with the same gun laws as Israel:
- civilians having to acquire a license prior to purchase any gun, with only certain citizen eligible for that license
- minimum age 20 or 21 fore those who completed military service, 27 otherwise
- licence having to be renewed every 3 years, with a shooting assessment ever 3 years and psychological one every 6 years
- gun for self-defense owners restricted to one gun, and to a maximum of 50 bullets per year (excluding those used in a firing range)
- USA: 101 guns per 100 people; Israel: 7.3 guns per 100 people
So, sure, why not start by doing THOSE things.