Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferencePrimary & Secondary Education · 2 years ago

What is the most important subject at school, language learning, native and foreign language , or mathematical subjects (or STEM) ....?

What is the most important subject at school, language learning, native and foreign language , or mathematical subjects (or STEM) as Americans and Brits call them :-)

I'm Polish, when i finished High School we have a loot of humanities lesson hours, The Polish language lessons that cover also world literature (like Shakespeare, Goethe, Homer, Balzac Mark Twain, Dickens), and Foreign Language, in my case English and lot of history and Civics Science

When i was at High School we learn during Polish Language course to memorize some parts of Shakespeare, fortunately it's Polish Translations, and Michiewicz on of Polish most renowned Poet.

Some saying that Curriculum in Polish Schools are to much humanities, that our schools teaching kids worthless poetry, that they should focus on programming, mathematics and engineering instead :D

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 years ago
    Favorite Answer

STEM is very, very important for civilization to function... but we almost never remember ancient civilizations for their technology, do we? Who s better known: Plato and Socrates, or the poor nameless schmuck who invented the sarissa? Da Vinci and Michelangelo or the merchant that lived a few blocks away?

At the end of the day, STEM and trades are inherently responsive; if it doesn t work it ll tend to tell you pretty quickly and, if it doesn t kill you, you can figure out how to make it work through good old-fashioned trial and error. Or, in our modern age, you could make a decent start by looking it up on the internet. STEM education mostly helps society standardize and accelerate that learning process. Creativity and culture are a lot harder to teach; ask 10 random people to write a (good) 300 page novel in a year, see how many succeed despite a lifetime of exposure and thousands of examples to draw from.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 2 years ago

Dzien Dobry. the best sort of education is an 'all round' education which includes a grounding in everything. when you finish High school (Matura?) then you can decide to specialize in another subject - or group of subjects - to work towards the sort of career you want to pursue.

• 2 years ago

Idk

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.