If a patient asks a doctor for a drug that ends up working but, the doctor initially denied is that wrong?

Im not looking to get this doctor in trouble but, Im just curious. I have so-called bipolar, meaning I don't have it when life is good but stressed flare it up. I went to a psychiatrist knowing that I was in trouble. I knew lithium works for episodes. He said they don't prescribe it much anymore. This is a... show more Im not looking to get this doctor in trouble but, Im just curious. I have so-called bipolar, meaning I don't have it when life is good but stressed flare it up.
I went to a psychiatrist knowing that I was in trouble. I knew lithium works for episodes. He said they don't prescribe it much anymore. This is a large clinic sponsored by an area hospital. They clearly only have interest in prescribing the big pharm atypicals, Abilify, Latuda etc. I said no way. They are hateful , horrible drugs. He then prescribed a very mild mood stabilizer that is usually used adjacent with atpicals.
I got very sick. This really didn't need to happen. Anybody who isn't severely schizophrenic shouldn't even be offered that junk but, they are consumed with getting people on it. Once I finally got lithium, the episode cleared up completely but, I really went through he'll that wasn't necessary.