Native English speakers: Is it okay to use 'teacher and student' as singular in this context? I feel it awkward. I'd appreciate your input.?

This is a part of writing by a native English speaker. But I feel the part, 'teacher and student'. awkward. Is it okay to use 'teacher and student' here? I feel comfortable with 'teachers and students' here. Thank you. I'd appreciate your... show more This is a part of writing by a native English speaker. But I feel the part, 'teacher and student'. awkward. Is it okay to use 'teacher and student' here? I feel comfortable with 'teachers and students' here. Thank you. I'd appreciate your feedback.

----------------------------------
These components provide [teacher and student] with a shared vocabulary with which to deconstruct, understand, and implement specific aspects of communicative competence.
----------------------------------