Do doctors still use penicillin?

I just watched this documentary on penicillin, and looks like it's a wonderful drug. I've had many infections over the years, but none of the doctors I went to ever prescribed a penicillin shot (as far as I can remember). If this is so great, why didn't my doctors write penicillin instead of all these... show more I just watched this documentary on penicillin, and looks like it's a wonderful drug.
I've had many infections over the years, but none of the doctors I went to ever prescribed a penicillin shot (as far as I can remember). If this is so great, why didn't my doctors write penicillin instead of all these other drugs? Last time I took antibiotics was about a year back. I had a road accident and had deep cuts all over my legs. My doctor gave me a tetanus shot, and something called "Ciprofloxacin" for 7 days twice daily- no penicillin. Apparently these medicines worked good, I didn't have any infection or anything severe (except for pain while the nurses changed the dressing of the wounds).