Kyle
Kyle asked in SportsBaseball · 2 years ago

Would you want Manny Machado to come to the Cubs this year via trade, if it guarantees you a WS Championship this year?

But you also lose Russell in the trade, and the possibility of NOT extending or re signing Machado in the off season. the Cubs would probably have to give up either another player on the roster, like Almora or Happ, or some pitching in the minors.

Last year, it was reported the Orioles turned down a trade of Montgomery, Almora, and Russell for Machado, as they were hoping to be competitive this year. Would you be OK with that trade now? We could use Almora's defense in CF, and he's getting better at hitting consistently. or Maybe throw in Schwarber instead of Almora, as he really should play in a AL team, as he is not the greatest defender in LF.

I would pull the trade if it guarantees us another WS win. while you lose players and years of control, you just have to decide if you want to win now, which this team is built to do, or the opportunity to win multiple years down the road, but may fall short too.

I trust Theo and Co in their ability to always find people to take over in middle INF spots should such were to happen, or maybe bring up Bote full time, as he's done well in his run so far in the majors.

• Alice
    Favorite Answer

Cubs need pitching, not another premadonna at short. Should've made a bid for Gerrit Cole.

• Kyle
      2 years agoReport

shoulda woulda coulda. that's the gamble in sports. should've negotiated with Arrieta too. but the cubs didn't want to pay him $200 mil. and Jake didn't want Darvish's offer. though, who knows how Jake would've performed if he stayed with our inconsistent offense

The Cubs are in the mess they're in because Epstein and his toadies focused on acquiring young hitters instead of pitchers. They can't afford to trade any of the young hurlers in the system for Machado.

That said, I would have no problem with them trading Russell -- who has been a huge disappointment -- and Schwarber along with a pitcher currently on the 25-man roster. Ideally, that would be Chatwood or Darvish but it wouldn't hurt my feelings to see Quintana go.

Dealing Chatwood/Quitana, Schwarber and Russell would free up at least $25M for next year, because you know Schwarber/Russell are going to get big raises if they go to arbitration, and that puts in Cubs in a position to keep Machado beyond this season.

I'd love to see Machado, Harper, Bryant, and Rizzo in the middle of the Cubs lineup next year. It would be a modern day Murderer's Row.

It's impossible to answer this because your premise is invalid. You cannot guarantee a Championship.

• Alice
      2 years agoReport

If I ever find you, boy, I'm gonna fúck you up BIG time..

• Bob

I would if I were a Cubs fan.