Why do i keep getting FPS drops?

Update:

Fps drops for no reason TY

Hey,

I just received an Imac for my 21st birthday and am trying to play fortnite. I can sit at around 120FPS with fine settings, however after about 30-40 mins of gaming my FPS will drop to around 30 until i restart.

3.8GHz quad-core 7th-generation Intel Core i5 processor Turbo Boost up to 4.2GHz 8GB 2400MHz memory, configurable up to 64GB 2TB Fusion Drive1 Radeon Pro 580 with 8GB video memory Two Thunderbolt 3 ports Retina 5K 5120-by-2880 P3 display

21 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    2 years ago

"Dropped frames" means that your connection to the server isn't stable, or you can't keep up with your set bitrate. Because of this, the program was forced to drop some of the video frames in order to compensate. If you drop too many frames, you may be disconnected from the streaming server.

• 2 years ago

Macs are notorious for not being good gaming computers. The Radeon graphics within are more meant for video editing, graphic design, etc. and are not meant to handle high-intensity games. However, it probably is either an issue with bottlenecking (maybe your CPU is outperforming the GPU for example) or internet lag. Try closing background programs or restarting the game to combat server lag. Hope this helps!

• 2 years ago

What is FPS?

• 2 years ago

What are FPS drops? Did you ask this question just to make me mad? Because I don’t know what’s that means and I’m pretty sure you’re trying to insult my intelligence

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 years ago

This is something that is universally experienced. You're not alone. It most likely have something to do with Fortnite's new patch. Stay patient until the next patch and see if it gets fixed.

• 2 years ago

If i had to guess throttling, system get hot after 30 mins and slows it self to keep a cool temp

• 2 years ago

net connection and most likely a it can get pretty hot in the inclosed housing macs arent great cause they really dont think of airflow

• Fulano
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

I'm not so sure how to do it do this on a Mac, but I'd monitor the temps and CPU, GPU, and RAM usage while you're playing.

I've used activity monitor to watch some of that on Mac OS, I've got a temperature app to but can't remember it's name. I've played the game in Window mode and watched those things to troubleshoot framerate drops.

The iMac I usually use has heat issues too, like it'll quickly get to 100 C if I don't manually turn the fan speeds up.

Windows has MSI Afterburner that will show you all that stuff in game.

• Anonymous
    2 years ago

Sounds like a memory leak or some kind of bottleneck to me.

Update all drivers and even the game, then see what happens.

I’m not going to blame heat issues on this one because within the last 2 months there are too many people complaining about FPS drops in Fortnite. A google search will show this.

And for the most part, when this FPS drop question is asked about any games, it’s either a software issue or there is a problem with the Graphics card that’s not caused by overheating.

• 2 years ago

probably because newer games and browsers and website feeds are supplying more frames to be rendered. many websites now feed video directly to your browser ... which i hate as it uses data that i don't want used to stuff i don't want to see anyway. haven't found a solution yet either

Source(s): grampa
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.