Can an RV dealer refuse to let you leave with the RV?

I went to a camper/RV dealer and checked out several bumper pull campers before deciding on one. I couldn't get financed on it so I made a cash offer which they accepted. I paid for it, signed all the papers, and everything was done. Then they said I was required to have a brake control on my pickup to pull the... show more I went to a camper/RV dealer and checked out several bumper pull campers before deciding on one. I couldn't get financed on it so I made a cash offer which they accepted. I paid for it, signed all the papers, and everything was done. Then they said I was required to have a brake control on my pickup to pull the camper, I would have to come back when I had it. I left, spent a fortune to have one installed, and came back. The camper I bought was gone. The salesman said it could catch fire and they weren't comfortable with me towing it. They handed me a check for my money back (which I'm having trouble cashing) and said there's nothing they could do for me. Can they do that?
14 answers 14