Can my English teacher prevent me from going to a school-wide buyout?

So tomorrow we have a $10 painting buyout in the afternoon and my English teacher decided to place an in-class essay during that time. She told us she wanted us to be in class, as we only have a small amount of time on Thursday to work on it, and I know I can't write an entire essay in less than one class... show more So tomorrow we have a $10 painting buyout in the afternoon and my English teacher decided to place an in-class essay during that time. She told us she wanted us to be in class, as we only have a small amount of time on Thursday to work on it, and I know I can't write an entire essay in less than one class period. Is she even allowed to keep us back? I know I could get my money back but I really wanted to go to this event to give my mom the painting for mothers day. What should I do? (Below is the picture we would be painting)