Higher PHP skill vs learn a framework?

I'm a moderate skilled PHP coder, its about two months that I'm learning Codigniter framework. Given that framework learning is not equal to PHP learning, choosing which one is better?

A: Continue learning PHP to high levels.

B: Learning framework as best i can.

Favorite Answer

This isn't an either-or decision. It's a which-first decision.

Or, maybe you can do both at the same time; in the sense that a student takes more than one course each term.

You didn't say how much programming experience you had before starting PHP/CodeIgniter. There's a lot to programming that's not specific to any programming language or framework, primarily the ability to look at a problem, divide it into manageable sub-problems and write reasonably efficient code for each--code that another programmer (or *you*, after a year or so) can read and understand.

And you'll probably be learning more about those for your whole programming career. There's a lot to learn, it's not all in books or "tutorials", and "what's important" changes over the years.

For now, learn to use CodeIgniter to create a couple different types of web apps from the drawing board to a site you can show off. Then maybe look at doing the same with Joomla or Drupal or something. Or plain PHP. The point is to take a look at the same types of problems from a different point of view based on what your tools support.

At some point, learning another language is a good idea. I like Python, but Django is about the only well-supported web framework. Several options are available for JavaScript using Node.js as the JS engine and the Express.js framework. Enterprise-scale applications often use Java for server-side coding. Ruby-on-Rails is still an option, but not the shiny new jewel it was last decade.

• Tom2 years agoReport

husoski: I'm not a lot experienced and only a few real world projects. I even don't know about PHP services like SOAP and not worked a lot with PHP DOM. your answer will be marked as best but let me know if you want to add any thing in 24 hours. thank you.

You can still advance your PHP skills while using a framework. If you're trying to get something interesting done, you'll save a lot of time when someone else has already done the grunt work for you.