Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Games & RecreationVideo & Online Games · 2 years ago

Besides "Cuphead" what video games have been made to look like old Hollywood cartoons from the Golden Age?

Hi. I am just curious about this. Video games designed to look like cartoons is nothing new- "Dragon's Lair" and "Space Ace" came out in the '80s, These were interactive animated movie video games, and they might have been the first games made of their kind. However, these games weren't designed to look like old Golden Age Hollywood cartoons- they were designed to look like modern-era cartoons.

There are many games made with cartoon characters as playable characters and they are pitted against cartoon environments. but the games don't actually look like animated cartoons- you can still tell they are video games.

I wanted to say "Bendy" is a game made to look like an old Hollywood cartoon from the Golden Age of Hollywood cartoons but it's not fully rendered to look like one.

Please help- thank you.

Favorite Answer

Skull Girls may be close. At least in the terms of a few characters.

But really Cuphead was the first of its kind to go that far out without being completely pre-rendered (like the Video Disk games in the 80s that you mentioned).

There will likely be copycats in the future, but for now, I can't think of anything else.

• John

the only game i can really think of, but it's still not to the extent of cuphead, is epic mickey which uses mickey mouse's old design. there's also a level in kingdom hearts 2 where it's all 1930s disney and in black and white. these two are 3d though not 2d. i think cuphead is really one of a kind because reproducing that sort of art style is very time consuming and expensive. the only reason cuphead got to be like that is because the creators had a genuine love for that sort of art and animation. other game companies wouldn't be so passionate and focus more on practicality and being economical.

• 2 years agoReport

Thank you but those games don't count.

• Chris

During the 16-bit era there were a few Disney games that had really solid animation to look like the classic toons, Castle of Illusion, Quackshot and Aladdin all come to mind offhand.

• Chris
      2 years agoReport

Cuphead still looks like a video game too.I never saw a classic toon run'n'gun through a skit. So I'm not sure I get the difference you're asking for here.