Dating Advice?

So I have been divorced for about 6 years and 3 months (give or take a week). Ok I will be honest 6 years 3 months and 1 week.

My wife left me for my boss, and then when he died of a heart attack, she left me for another vice president at my company.

My brother, Derrick, who is older than me, has encouraged me to get back out there into the dating world. Problem is I am 46 years old (just hit the big 4-6 two weeks ago!) and I have no idea what I am doing. I do have a young child at home, Otis, who I don't trust with babysitters so he would need to come along on the date. I know the cool thing to do is to have dates around 11 or 11:30 PM so I am not sure how this will work with Otis' bed time. Suggestions? Would 10:00 PM still be the 'cool thing' to do?

What kind of hot babes should I look for? I like tats, especially the ones that mean they are bad people (like those ones on their lower back or ankles). Also, how should I look for them, do I go to the grocery store and just hang out there all day while Otis is at school? I tried calling my ex-wife and she has been no help!

As Mark Hammill said in Star Wars episode 1 (I don't acknowledge the prequel trilogy, Liam Neeson was so awful!) to Ben Kenobi - you're my only hope, Ben!

-BILL

Favorite Answer

Dude, that was Carrie Fischer. Not Mark Hammill. But anyway...

Congratulations on getting that gold-digging semen garbage can out of your life. And yes, dating at our age (I'm 47) is going to be difficult. It's actually impossible for me, since my wife would disapprove for some silly reason, but difficult is kind of an understatement.

I think you're setting some unrealistic expectations here, and more than just one or two. You might just have to face certain realities, and I'll go over a few of them for you. And since this site is called Yahoo Answers and not Yahoo Tell Me What I Wanna Hear, you might not like all the facts.

- Yes, there are hot girls with tramp-stamps (lower back ink) in this world, but most of them want nothing to do with a mid-40's divorced dad.

- Of the hot sexy (and slutty) girls that will be interested in you, many of them are also the type of girls who will randomly drive off cliffs or start fires in bathrooms for no apparent reason. It's not all of them, just 99% who give the rest a bad name.

- The supermarket is a good idea per se. Rich girls, hot girls, divorced girls, hooker girls, ugly girls, old girls, young girls and evil girls all have one thing in common. That thing is they need to buy food, so the supermarket is a great place to meet them. But... if you hang out there all day every day, you'll quickly become that creepy old guy who hangs around at the supermarket all day. You don't wanna be that guy. Go often, but not too often and don't stay too long. You'll just have to use common sense.

- Unless fully disclosed in advance, bringing your child with you on any first date is make you completely unf**kable really quickly. It's not ideal under any circumstance, but definitely do the full disclosure thing with no exceptions. Explain why if you must, but don't ever forget to mention that your young son will be with you on the date.

- At your age and in your situation, you just might have to settle for whatever you can get. It would be a different story if you were ten years younger and one kid earlier, but you're not and that's just the cold hard reality of it. You know the saying: Anything better looking than your right hand is nothing to be ashamed of. Just sayin' is all.

That said, I really hope you find someone. Hell, I hope you find a young firm deaf-mute-blind nymphomaniac who owns a chain of liquor stores, but don't set your sights too high. If my wife left me tomorrow, I'd probably resort to calling all my exes or meeting fat ugly girls in dark bars and hoping they say yes before they sober up a little. But I'm sure you'll do better than that.

i believed you till you said his name is otis

• Alan H

Why not simply widen your circle friends? One of them will be that little more special.

If she is a normal woman she will be happy to visit you when your children are around.

One of those other friends will also look after the children whilst you go out.

Face it......you are most unlikely to get hot chicks!

Bit of a concern you don’t have any trust in anyone that could occasionally babysit for you. I feel you should perhaps work on that. Hot babes? Do you think any will fall for a guy that appears to have trust issues? Maybe you should just get used to the single parent phenomenon; it is simply not “all beer and skittles.” Sounds Iike you may have some unrealistic expectations there. You should not be taking a young or school age child out at 10pm on dates with you. If you seriously have to have your child with you when you meet people then you are going to have to restrict your social time to play time in the parks ... or worse still ... McDonalds! There you may be fortunate to find someone going through the same cramped social life as yourself.