Fellow Atheists: What was the Bible verse that made you lose your faith and/or become skeptical?

Mine was when I was ten and I randomly turned to this page.

(2 Samuel 16:21-22) And Ahithophel said unto Absalom, Go in unto thy father's concubines, which he hath left to keep the house; and all

Israel shall hear that thou art abhorred of thy father. So they spread Absalom a tent upon the top of the house; and Absalom went in unto his father's concubines in the sight of all Israel.

I asked my mom as a ten year old why God said it was ok to rape mommies and she was completely stunned. It wasn't until a few years later as a teenager until I found out the Bible was completely bulls**t. I'm pretty sure you have your own verse that made you go, WTF? Leave it in the comments below.

Favorite Answer

Never made it past the first page... so that one.

Ahithophel was a counselor but he was not a prophet of the LORD. SO God never said it was OK to rape concubines. What Absalom was doing was evil and against God's will.

2 Samual 17:7,

"And Hushai said unto Absalom, The counsel that Ahithophel hath given is not good at this time."

Ahithophel later went and hanged himself.

• BJ

The marriage and family customs of the Judean kings included the practice of having a plurality of wives and concubines, although the Law stipulated that the king was not to multiply wives to himself. (De 17:17)

The concubines were considered to be crown property and were passed on to the successor to the throne along with the rights and property of the king.

To marry or take possession of one of the deceased king’s concubines was tantamount to publishing a claim to the throne.

Hence, Absalom’s having relations with the concubines of his father, King David, and Adonijah’s requesting as wife Abishag, David’s nurse and companion in his old age, were equivalent to claims on the throne. These were treasonable acts.

• Cogito

No - six or seven years of Sunday School and chapel did that - no verse in particular.

By the age of 11 I had realised that the whole thing was just not credible, contradictory, an obvious fiction and quite ridiculous.

• Strega

No bible verse, just the priest in mass one day basically saying "true story".

Okay sure, done! It was as easy as that.

• Papa-G

Your mother should have told you that it was a lesson of listening to the wrong person. So we have to be careful who we listen to. What was done was wrong and if Absalom was a good man he would have not listen to Ahithophel and done this bad thing.

That's why if parents have a Bible in their house they should read it and be prepared for questions like yours.

Like most people, you did not understand that scripture. You need to read the entire chapter in order to understand what happened. No one told Absalom to rape anyone, it was because he had an uncontrolled passion for his sister that he himself decided to do such a thing. No one was ok with what he did and he definitely received punishment for that. Don't discount the Bible solely because you misunderstand it.

The bible is simply a compilation of ancient records written over thousands of years to various groups in various circumstances. It helps to think of the audience. For example, the book of Genesis was written as a revelation to Moses for barbaric Israelites who had just come out of hundreds of years of hard bondage to the Egyptians. The entire old testament has to do with God's dealings toward this society.

The bible was compiled in 350 ad. Many consistencies make the bible very convincing. But many Christians like to look beyond the mark and state that the bible was written by God, which it was not. In the absence of living prophets, they use it as the foundation for Christianity. They are bible churches. These are the same people who place halo's over the heads of ancient apostles who were normal men called of God to do a work. Spiritual gifts and revelation are a normal part of life for faithful followers of God. God is not weird or magical and the bible is not a fantasy. Accurate or not, bible records are real records.

We look at the bible through the lens of our own culture which is pragmatic and not particularly spiritual. We do not expect spiritual gifts and thus there is insufficient faith to accept a living prophet if one was sent. There are cultures in the world where people are very spiritual and experience spiritual phenomenon. Samoa is this way.

Cool story you came up with there. We all know nothing of the sort happened.

My unbelief resulted from years of agonizing study, observation and introspection.

• Rowan

I could pick any verse really, I never believed it from five years old, when I also figured out Santa wasn't real. No reasonably smart child could accept the literal truth of the bible. The first law of thermodynamics is energy cannot be created or destroyed it only changes form, and you either accept this, or you don't, you believe it, or you don't. It's more conclusively proven than any of the ridiculous nonsense in the bible. For me this means that energy, the thing that makes up everything is eternal, but that's the only thing it proves, so this eternal thing, that's everything, you could call it God, Einstein did, but he also made it very clear he wasn't in any way talking about the same God as Judaism, which he was born into, or Christianity, or Islam, or any religion, although he did express a preference for Buddhism and Spinozism. I think if you could stop taking the bible literally, and the definition of God could be changed to include what is scientifically shown to be eternal, which means also that it cannot be created by God, unless it is God, then maybe you could gain more people who did not completely reject the absurd notion of Theism. This idea that Einstein had was called pantheism or panentheism. Although it's more like Agnostic Pantheism and you have to change the notion of the definition of the meaning of the word god, which in some people's minds is just semantics. To me, something eternal that is everything, forever, almost infinitely large, an almost infinite amount of possible variations, including lives that we may ourselves live in the endless cycle, is possibly worthy of the word God, but that any person, any particular animal claims to speak for it, is laughable, and more like a sign of mental illness or fraud.