How do boiling water reactors keep from releasing radioactive water to the eviorment?

Update: Versus pressurized reactors where the water used for generation doesn't come into direct contact with the control rods. I would assume, in BWRs, cool water is intake into the reactor to cool it, the resulting steam (assuming is radioactive?) is used for generation, and then is distributed to the cooling tower... show more Versus pressurized reactors where the water used for generation doesn't come into direct contact with the control rods. I would assume, in BWRs, cool water is intake into the reactor to cool it, the resulting steam (assuming is radioactive?) is used for generation, and then is distributed to the cooling tower for collection? But wouldn't it be radioactive steam headed to the cooling tower?