Brand new car with rust on rotors - Normal or No?

Hi, I was at a car dealership in search of a brand new car. I found a vehicle i really like. However I seen that the rotors are rusty. I was curious if that is normal or not? Will the rust come off? I don't want to spend lots of money and then find out the rust is something serious. Thanks.

25 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 years ago
    Best Answer

That's quite normal. The rotors are bare metal and acquire a film of surface rust very quickly if they get wet. It is only a film and is removed by the pads on initial braking. It happens frequently on cars that are stored outside or, in my case, if I inadvertently direct the hose onto the rotors while washing the car the rust film appears overnight. Then there's a graunching noise on the first brake application and thereafter all is back to normal.

• Anonymous
    2 years ago

I think they should definitely clean it for you. If I had a car sit and it got rusty it is no big whoppie--but yet, even I would probably spray some clean on the pads after the rust was off. And since it is a new car you don't expect to be bothered with things for a while, they should do it--but the question is whether it is worth it to sit around on that greasy leather furniture for an hour or more? They might also replace the pads. Embedded rust can burn the rotor.

• Anonymous
    2 years ago

That car has not been driven in a while

• Lv 5
      2 years agoReport

24 hours on the Coast.

• ANDREW
    Lv 4
    2 years ago

It’s normal when a vehicle has been stationary for a while and the brake discs have gotten wet, itl clear when the car is driven and the brakes are applied might sound similiar to w grinding sound initially but it will go

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 years ago

Car rotors rust up with in 3 days if a car isn't driven and it's moist outside.

• 2 years ago

Just been sat around on a damp day, take it for a test drive and they will soon be shiny

• 2 years ago

Rust is not normal. That vehicle may have been in a flood.

• Lv 5
      2 years agoReport

Iron Rusts, Period. Even in our desert, monsoon storms or a car wash. Nothing to worry about.

• 2 years ago

Rust: no.

Brake dust: yes.

• Anon
      Lv 5
      2 years agoReport

Wrong Again. Stevie. Wanna try for 26 td's? Iron Rusts. Period, Brake dust buidup on a disk IS a problem. Shows overly soft pads. Not with a rear drum, it is normal BUT must be removed .

• JetDoc
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

Normal. Disc brake rotors are bare metal. It's common for them to accumulate rust if the car sits outdoors for a few weeks or more. As the car is driven, the rust will be wiped off the disc surface.

• Anonymous
    2 years ago

They are steal, they rust. I have found some rust more than others but never had a problem with the rotors as the brakes wore out before the rotors did.

• Lv 5
      2 years agoReport

Not all rotors are cast iron., p/m, some are aluminum alloy, some stainless steel.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.