promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsBiology · 2 years ago

How come Blacks are so good at Boxing and fighting, but not necessarily the strongest of people?

Strongest as in weight lifting, all the dominants of weight lifting, strong man competitions are Europeans/Scandinavians who are WHITE PEOPLE.

Update:

I put this in Biology cause maybe it has something to do with their genetics. Maybe they are built for fighting.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Well, I think we have to be very careful ... there are a lot of myths and BS surrounding issues of race and athletic ability. Some of it is incredibly patronizing. Some of it is nonsense. Some of it might be partially true. But the point is there's very little scientific evidence to support much of what people claim.

Every individual is genetically unique. This means that some people may or may not have advantages, due to their genetic makeup, in certain sports. For example, there are some regions in Africa in which there is a genetic trait that prevents the calf muscle developing in a manner anatomists might call 'normal'. It's actually slightly underdeveloped. This, however, gives the lower leg a greater freedom of movement which might result in an advantage when running. People who have ancestry from these regions may also have this genetic trait, which might confer an advantage in those sports. In some regions, people have a slightly higher number of fast twitch muscle fibers. This might mean they have better reaction times and an ability to use more energy in small short bursts of muscle actions.

The point, though, is that the genetics is much more complicated than just 'race'. It depends on the population your ancestors were from, and any genetic benefit for a particular sport might actually be very localised. For example, saying 'black people have greater bone density' might not be true. Saying something like 'people with ancestry from this population living in this particular valley in Kenya have greater bone density than average' might very well be true. These are just examples to show you the problem with making blanket statements based on 'race'. Remember people are individuals and for every statement you make about race and athletic prowess in a particular sport, you can probably argue the exact opposite if you looked hard enough at populations.

So, I think the answer to your question isn't race. It's nurture rather than nature. People are drawn towards sports that their role models participated in. People are drawn and pushed into sports based on expectation and society. The sports you play are due to culture. How many black kids in the US, for example, play rugby? Does that mean they aren't good at rugby or just never participated in that sport because basketball and American football and baseball are more popular in that nation? How many white wealthy kids go to boxing lessons? Or would their parents encourage them to take up tennis or squash or golf or horse riding?

So I think the race breakdown of sports tells us more about our society, our snobbishness, our different expectations, our biases and prejudices, the state of our socio-economic inclusivity, and so forth than it does about the athletic ability of 'races'.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 2 years ago

Humans are not born to box. They need to train, to learn how to box and to develop muscles, techniques, strategy and speed. There are very few boxing champions that came out of Africa. In fact most of the great boxers came from the Western Hemisphere (the US and Cuba for example) even though these boxers have African ancestry.

• 2 years ago

Beacause you cant bring a gun in a gym

• 2 years ago

its because of genetics design

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    2 years ago

I lift up heavy things, then I put them down.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.