My daughter's new haircut, should i be mad?

My daughter had long bright ginger hair midway down her back until she was about 10. One day during the summer my wife told her she was going to take her for a trim the next day, she said she wanted more than a trim and wanted to cut her hair short. She said her friend got her haircut to just below her shoulders... show more My daughter had long bright ginger hair midway down her back until she was about 10. One day during the summer my wife told her she was going to take her for a trim the next day, she said she wanted more than a trim and wanted to cut her hair short. She said her friend got her haircut to just below her shoulders for the summer and she wanted to cut hers the same way. We thought it'd be great since it was getting hotter and would be alot easier to manage if it was shorter so we agreed. The next day my wife took our daughter to the salon to get her new short haircut, she told the hairdresser what she wanted and my daughter was so happy with the result but had one question "can i cut it shorter?", again it was only hair and it would grow back before school started again so my wife agreed and so it was cut to her chin and she loved it. She came home and showed me her new short hair. This began her trying every hairstyle you could think of, shes 17 now and has her hair long again, then cut up short, styled every way imaginable and every colour too. She was her own job so she pays for her hair now and we're all for her expressing herself. The other day she told us she was going to get her haircut. This morning she left to go to the salon, when she came home we were shocked, both sides of her head had been shaved to a #1 with a lightning bolt razor cut into each side. I don't know if i approve of this, what would you do if your daughter got this haircut?
Update: Thank you everyone for your input. I just want to clear something up, we have always encouraged her to express herself. She seems to be very happy with it and her mother and I both agree the hair cut is very fitting of her care-free personality. Shes been showing off to her friends and they all love it. I don't... show more Thank you everyone for your input. I just want to clear something up, we have always encouraged her to express herself. She seems to be very happy with it and her mother and I both agree the hair cut is very fitting of her care-free personality. Shes been showing off to her friends and they all love it. I don't dislike it by any means, i just felt it was a very dramatic change which may give the wrong impression but she doesn't seem to care and loves it.