promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelAir Travel · 2 years ago

I thought airplanes were safe?

Why is there all the sudden so many planes with engine failure? I fly all the time for my marketing job and I do not want to die!

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Get a grip on reality. They are. There are over 23,000 large jets in service that conduct over 40 million flights every year (over 100,000 per day), carrying more than 4 billion passengers per year. A couple of engine failures does not constitute a statistical hazard to your air travel plans. You have a 1 in 5000 chance of dying in a car crash every time you get out on the road. In contrast you only have a 1 in 11 million chance of being in an airline accident where at least one fatality occurs. That's 3000 times greater chance yet I don't hear you squawking about highway safety when it should be near the top of your worry list.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 2 years ago

They are still safer than the drive to the airport. In the USA there was just the one fatality in 9 years after billions of passenger miles flown. While in the same time, over 200,000 people died in road crashes.

No one ever said that life was without risk but compare the numbers.

• 2 years ago

Considering there are more than 22,000 commercial flights (and thousands more in general aviation) in the US every day, year in and year out with no aircraft-related fatalities until this week, it's actually much safer to fly than drive. The risk of dying in a commercial aircraft crash is less than one in 25 million.

• Anonymous
    2 years ago

Trolling time.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 years ago

They are. Safer than cars. How many car wrecks are there a day? Plane crashes, like Shark attacks are rare.

• JetDoc
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

Here's an interesting fact for you, Little Snowflake... You're MUCH less likely to die in an airplane than you are when tucked under the covers in your own little bed. In fact MOST people in the world today end up dying in a bed. So if you don't want to die... Go flying!

• trailblazer
      Lv 7
      2 years agoReport

Hmmm, you clearly like reading statistics, maybe you should stick to just reading them?

• 2 years ago

Sorry to disappoint you but you are going to die, just the same as the rest of us.

If you don't want to die in a plane wreck get a stay at home job but it's just as likely that an aircraft will crash through your roof while you're asleep in bed.

• 2 years agoReport

We cannot afford you to die, I prohibit you dying on me!

• 2 years ago

Maintenance is being done in China by the cheapest aircraft mechanics.

Source(s): conversation with a current American aircraft mechanic.
    • RICK
      Lv 7
      2 years agoReport

Not on Southwest
      They don't fly to China

• 2 years ago

Well you can live your life in fear all the time, or you can look at the facts. You're more likely to die in a car accident than on a plane.

--------------------------------------

Among passengers aboard crashed planes, 95.7 percent survive. And according to the National Transportation Safety Board, even passengers of the most devastating airplane crashes survive at a rate of 76 percent.Aug 2, 2017

How Do People Survive Plane Crashes? - Curiosity

https://curiosity.com/topics/how-do-people-survive...

-------------------------

North American Commercial Airline Accidents https://www.statisticbrain.com/airplane-crash-stat...

-------------------------

www.fearofflyinganxiety.com/plane-crash-statistics/

An NTSB study examined aviation statistics between 1983 and 2000. A total of 53,487 passengers were involved in aviation accidents in the period studied. Of this number, 95.7 percent or 51,207 lived to tell the tale. NTSB data indicate that the survival rate even in the most serious accidents is about 77 percent.

• Jim
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

More likely to die getting to the airport.

• Lee
      Lv 4
      2 years agoReport

What ufyou dive in and eat my az daddi??

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.