Went through my junk mail. Many lost opportunities and also few hundred euro lost because hotmail put important stuff there.. What do?

Is there any way to prevent anything going to junk mail? The worst thing is that those were just few weeks worth of "junk mail" since old junk mail gets deleted... I assume I have lost between 1000-2000 euro because I never thought of checking my junk mail. And I thought the worst thing hotmail did... show more Is there any way to prevent anything going to junk mail?

The worst thing is that those were just few weeks worth of "junk mail" since old junk mail gets deleted...

I assume I have lost between 1000-2000 euro because I never thought of checking my junk mail.

And I thought the worst thing hotmail did was steal all my old email accounts.
Update: EDIT: androids gmail widget doesn't allow you to select junk mail folder, that was one thing that would have been the solution...