jim asked in Computers & InternetSoftware · 2 years ago

Installing windows 64 bit from 32 bit?

Hey guys I recently got a new PC but it’s kind of old and currently has a 32-bit operating system and I know that running fortnite requires a 64-bit operating system So when trying to install windows 10 64 bit on my PC (via usb) instead of allowing me to boot via USB and install windows 10 like it did for 32 bit, it keeps cycling me back to the boot menu and I don’t understand why because I have a 64 bit based OS (if I don’t do anything when the boot menu pops up again it just takes me to the regular login page) Thanks for your time!

• Adrian
    Favorite Answer

If it is a Pentium 4 type 515, that is a 32 bit processor only, it cannot run 64 bit Windows.

There are many Pentium 4 older processors that are 32 bit only. You would have to post the exact CPU type/model for us to be sure....

I've explained this one about a million times go into your control panel find power options power management or whatever it happens to be on your computer open it up find where it says choose what the power button does first set that to shut down then at the very top of the page you will see where it says show settings that are currently unavailable click that now scroll to the bottom of the page and check the word that says fast start click apply now shut down your computer from the shutdown menu now insert your USB installer turn your computer on and hit the F12 button or the escape button whatever happens to bring up the boot menu choose the USB installer stick hit enter it will load if your USB installer was correctly made if not use the Windows 10 media creation tool to properly burn you a USB installer for Windows 10 64-bit the same OS that matches what you have Home Premium must go with Home Premium professional must go with professional or it won't work now try it

• Dave

Post the specs of your PC.

Why does it have 32 bit on it? If the PC doesn't have a 64 bit processor, you can't install a 64 bit OS.

• Dave
      2 years agoReport

Your processor is not on the list of compatible CPU's for Win 10. Win 7/8 64 bit works, but not Win 10.

Sometimes you need the Windows CD/DVD to reinstall Windows.

You may need to take the computer to a local computer repair store and have them do it for you if you don't know how.