Exterior/outdoor water heater not vented properly, CO problem?

Hey guys, I recently moved into a small apartment unit. However I noticed that the gas water heater for this unit is located on the outside wall in steel cage. The vent/draft hood doesn't appear to be attached very well, with gaps in it. It comes out of the top of the steel cage (which is old and beat up) and... show more Hey guys, I recently moved into a small apartment unit. However I noticed that the gas water heater for this unit is located on the outside wall in steel cage. The vent/draft hood doesn't appear to be attached very well, with gaps in it. It comes out of the top of the steel cage (which is old and beat up) and out the top of the roof eaves.I was wondering how much of a CO danger this could be. I had the gas company look at it and they seemed unconcerned because it "is outside and theres plenty of fresh air". But who's to say CO can't enter through the windows or seep into the place somehow. The actual draft hood itself is not even screwed in place. I was thinking about hiring someone to replace the ventilation on it, but i'm not sure what that would cost. I do have CO monitors inside the home, and they aren't detecting anything right now.