Would an SSD and a ram upgrade be worth it?

Hi, I have a Samsung np300e5e-a02us laptop running on windows 8 and intel i3 processor. I've had it for about 6 years, I think I've managed to keep it working for so long because I hardly ever used it but now I'm going to start using my laptop a lot more often now and I was wondering if it would be a... show more Hi, I have a Samsung np300e5e-a02us laptop running on windows 8 and intel i3 processor. I've had it for about 6 years, I think I've managed to keep it working for so long because I hardly ever used it but now I'm going to start using my laptop a lot more often now and I was wondering if it would be a good idea to upgrade the HDD to an SSD (probably 500 gb) and upgrade the ram to 8 gb (currently only have 4.) I won't be using it for gaming or video editing, nothing like that really, just for using the internet, watching videos, and doing homework on Office apps mostly. There's not much wrong with it currently, just runs a tiny bit too laggy for my liking and I was wondering if doing these two upgrades would help that out. I'm no tech geek, I also don't have a firewall or any kind of virus protections, I just try to avoid potentially dangerous websites. The most dangerous websites I visit are probably 123movies and music downloading websites, I'm not sure that these would give me any kind of viruses or problems but while I'm here I might as well ask if going to these kinds of sites could potentially f my computer up? I don't want to purchase these upgrades and then a couple months down the line the computer doesn't work anymore or something like that. Also, does it matter what brand of SDD and ram I buy? I'm looking at crucial dot com and they're listing products compatible with "np300e5e" but not my specific "a02us" model, I assume they should still be compatible though right?
4 answers 4