My bf has bad breath...how can I fix it?

My bf has bad breath and no matter what he does it doesn’t seem to go away. We discussed it before and I’ve taught him proper brushing/flossing techniques. We went to the dentist and they said his gums have a lot of bacteria which may be causing it. He’s been caring for his gums more. He drinks plenty of water and... show more My bf has bad breath and no matter what he does it doesn’t seem to go away. We discussed it before and I’ve taught him proper brushing/flossing techniques. We went to the dentist and they said his gums have a lot of bacteria which may be causing it. He’s been caring for his gums more. He drinks plenty of water and has a pretty healthy diet but it still smells. It’s so bad that I refuse to have him kiss my mouth. I have to lower the car windows when he speaks & I turn my head when he’s talking directly to me. It is a big problem and I just don’t know what to do. He’s great but I can not get over that. It’s horrible. It only smells good for awhile after he uses mouth wash but he hates mouthwash. Nothing is working! Are there any recommendations??

P.S. Please read carefully to avoid recommending something we’ve already tried. And please don’t jump to random conclusions.