Do You Consider Security Guards at Your Workplace "Co-Workers"?

Update:

Update: I work at a hospital and the security guards are in the employee directory. I'm a secretary and I work with other secretaries, techs & nurses but I don't necessarily work with the guards.

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 years ago

For the vast majority of my work life, I have been on the road, in crew trucks or traveling solo, no where near any of our buildings. Most facilities I been stationed at are small and rural and do not have any dedicated security guards.

When I go to one of our HQ's, I am polite but distant with them. They deserve respect, but also cannot get too friendly, in order to maintain their air of professionalism, and authority. They may have to take actions concerning an employee, etc.

• ?
    Lv 7
    3 years ago

If they are employed by the same company, yes. If they are for example employed by an agency that contracts with that company, then no. I would treat them the same though, with respect and professional courtesy.

• No, because our building security are employed by a private firm so they don't work for the same company as I do.

• not
    Lv 7
    3 years ago

No, my co worker is working with me for the same goal and company. That said I also don't find the security guy " not one of us" as much as I see most people treat each other. Even when at another place of business I treat a worker as a fellow worker, I ask for management when I need to tear a new askhole in someone. My wife works to undo that attitude from department to department at her work. People love division and it benefits none of them.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 3 years ago

No. They are independent contractors getting paid by a different company than the one I get paid by.

• ?
    Lv 7
    3 years ago

Partner is a security guard and works for a security company that is basically sub contracted to various sites to observe and protect the premises, although he has made a lot of friends that are employed by the company he protects

• Anonymous
    3 years ago

Yes, but that is because I am one of the security guards. I don't consider the building employees my co-workers, however, as they work for a different company. We're contractors and they are our client. Of course, we show each other mutual professional respect and we get along with one another well enough. There is a close working relationship but we're not co-workers.

• 3 years ago

I do not, because the security people in my office do not work for my employer. They work for a private security outfit and they get moved from site to site constantly. We often get a bunch of people that have never been in the building before and know nothing about the procedures.

• Anonymous
    3 years ago

No. The on-site security guards at my workplace are employed by a third-party security company. They represent THEIR employer's best interests and I represent MY employer's best interests. Our paths may physically cross, but we are not employed by the same company, nor are we co-workers. That doesn't mean we aren't friendly.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.