Kyle
Kyle asked in SportsBaseball · 2 years ago

What should the Cubs do by the trade deadline to help them go deep into the post season again?

They have Quintana now for a full year and have been really good. Darvish showed what he can do in his second start last weekend, so i'm not worried about him. we finally got to use Morrow, our new closer from the Dodgers and he's 2/2 in saves. and the rest of our bullpen has been outstanding.

our hitting so far is slowly coming together. KB is good as usual, and Zobrist is heating up. Rizzo is fighting a back injury and was struggling previously. same with Happ, though he hit a lead off, opening day home run, he's only had a couple hits since then, and strikes out a lot. Almora's been doing OK. and everyone else is the same.

in 2016, we traded for Chapman to help us win the World Series. in 2017, we traded for Q to bolster our rotation for years to come. if everyone is clicking and we're on top by July 31st, do we need to make a trade? we really don't have any top prospects to do so, so it'd have to be someone on our roster. It'd be funny i think if we traded for Harper, depending how the Nats are doing. but it likely won't happen.

I know it's early in the season, but it's still fun to discuss.

Favorite Answer

I don't think right now the Cubs need a trade to improve their club but htey need to stop striking out with men in scoring position Baez needs to stop trying to hit the ball into space cut down on his swing and like Ian Happ needs to put the ball in play. One thing they do need at the deadline would be a true leadoff hitter something they have lacked since Dexter Fowler sign with the Cardinals. I for years have liked Nick Markakis of the Braves and have thought the cubs should trade for him. He's a guy who puts the ball in play and has occasional power. Maybe a Ian Happ for Nick Markakis trade would make sense. As far as a closer I don't see anything available. Colome from the Rays would be a good deal but I think the price tag would be too high. Morrow was lights out with the Dodgers as a set up man in the post last year I'd stick with him

• kathys

The Cubs have a make-or-break series with the Nationals that may help shed light on what the Theo Epstein's front office should do at the trade deadline.

"we" "our" - sounds like you are one of the Ricketts

Cubs should win games and avoid injuries, they have enough good players

• Kyle
      2 years agoReport

fans are very much part of the team.

• KaleyK

The Cubbies are a pretty solid team with a lot of talent in a variety of positions. I think you need to wait another month. Then check the disabled list and check performance to see where there is weakness. I"m a Mariners fan so I'm familiar with Morrow. He is not a strong option as your closer! The Cubbies might start sniffing around now to see if a true 9th inning knockdown guy is available.

• Kyle
      2 years agoReport

i do agree with that. this maybe Morrow's first time in a true closer role in his career. but again, we would have to trade someone on our roster to get a top closer, as we have little to no top prospects teams would likely be interested in.