Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationBuying & Selling · 2 years ago

My mother took away my car, its under her name, but i just bought new tires for it and a sound system, what should i do?

Hello! I am a 20 year old full time college student with a part time job. Recently my mother decided to take my car away after a friend dropped me off at home late with a couple alcoholic drinks. I understand minors in possession are wrong, but i was not driving. I have just put 700$ worth of new tires and a spare rim on the car as well as a new radio and speakers installed. the car is legally under her name but my God parents are the people who put a down payment in order for me to first get the car. along with all this money I m not getting back, She claimed me on her income tax and got a significantly larger amount of money for me being a full time student. With this extra money, she went out and bought herself a preowned truck. I have only been living with my mother again from mid January to april 4th 2018. before hand i was staying with my god parents after coming home from university in early 2017. What should i do? is there anything i can do? I am hoping to finish this semester off and keep my job but things aren t looking so great right now because i am now homeless. send advice my way!

You're 20 years old and you still drive Moms car? Since the car is hers there is nothing you can do.

• JetDoc

Her house... HER rules! If you don't want to follow them, MOVE OUT and pay your own way.

You're effing 20 man. Maybe thats 1 year below legal drinking level, but schit who doesnt drink below age 21. Big deal you drank at age 20. Assert yourself and stand up for your car man.

That is the mentality you should have.

Source(s): 8868
  • ?

You seem to be part of a dysfunctional family and your car situation is just one manifestation of that. You are 20 years old, a legal adult, which means you can separate yourself from the family and get a life of your own. You screwed up in the eyes of your mother, which you should have anticipated, and now have to pay the consequences. Since you seem to have a propensity to drink alcohol, she is now concerned that you will do the same while driving. Maybe she just cares about you and your life.

• D J

Beg forgiveness, remind your Mom you did not drive. Correct your behavior & beg, beg, beg for forgiveness.

If you have proof of the new tires and rims and radio and speakers, and you have the old items for this car, then replace them with the old items. Keep the items you bought for the next car you buy.

It's not your car, it's her car.

Grow up. Learn to act responsibly. Dump your drunken friends and she may let you drive her car again.

If the car title is in her name, it is her car she has allowed you to use. You have to satisfy her that you have learned from this experience and are mature enough to deserve another chance at responsible car ownership.

If you didn't live with her in 2017, she fraudulently claimed you on her income tax return. If you were in school full time in 2017, it's your godparents who are allowed to claim you.

Nothing you can do to make her let you drive the car or get the money you put into it out of it. But you can report her to the IRS, and you should ask your godparents why they did not claim you. If they say 'We decided to let her claim you,' well, they don't get to decide who claims you. IRS rules decide who gets to claim you.

She doesn’t want you crushing it, behave