tzz1985 asked in TravelLatin AmericaPeru · 2 years ago

I'm solo traveling to Peru - is it worth carrying a money belt or a passport pouch?

I'll be going to Lima, Cusco, and Machu Picchu. Peru seems to be safer relative to countries in South America so I feel like it would be unnecessary.

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Susan
    Lv 4
    2 years ago

ALWAYS use your money, passport pouch, whatever! No PLACE is safer than another!

• 2 years ago

I have traveled in many dodgy countries.

I normally keep my passport in an under-clothing security belt when traveling abroad. My USA driving license, most of my cash, and all but one of my credit/debits cards also go in the belt. I use the type belt that goes around your waist and not a neck-hanger type. Friends of mine have had the neck-hanger type snatched.

This is an example, but every luggage store/department sells them:

https://www.travelsmith.com/product/coversafe-s100...

I keep my passport card, one credit card, and enough money for the day in my wallet. My passport card can be replaced via any US Consulate while replacing my state driving license while abroad is effectively impossible.

The in-room safes in major-chain hotels (such as Hilton and Marriott) are OK and I often leave my money belt in the safe while I am sightseeing. If it is not a major chain then you have to decide based on your impressions of the hotel. Be cautious.

Scan the photo page of your passport, your USA driving license + other ID, and the fronts & backs of your credit/debit cards. Send the images to yourself by e-mail and keep the message(s). That way, the info is available via any internet-connected device should the items be lost or stolen.

Check your medical insurance to find out if it covers you in the country/countries you plan to visit AND covers medial evacuation to home if needed. It probably does not. If no or not sure then get trip medical insurance, which is cheap and sold by airlines & travel agencies. PLEASE don't skimp in this as a minor accident can turn into a crisis if you don't have medical insurance.

• 2 years ago

It's a good idea. I was warned not to keep my purse on my lap in a car in Lima because people reach in the windows and snatch them. But don't wear one of those stupid fanny packs- they scream "I'm a tourist, rob me!" The biggest problem in Cuzco is the street vendors approaching you every 2 minutes to get you to buy something.

• 2 years ago

It's always worth it when you travel.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 years ago

It's always a good idea to wear a passport pouch around your neck & under your clothing.

• Anonymous
    2 years ago

Place your money in a ballon and stuff it up there good. Tie a string to the end and let it stick out so you can retrieve it as needed.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.