Medicine/Paramedic or police officer to do investigating/detective work?? Choosing A levels!! help!?

For so long, I have wanted to have a career in medicine so was set on taking biology, chemistry, maths. Then I decided that being a paramedic may be more suited to me as I can be first on the scene helping people. But now I have looked into policing as I am thinking about moving forward as a detective/private investigator. I m quite confused as this would most likely mean my A level options would change but I need help on the pros/cons of each job, the career path and what it entails etc. Thank you!

Favorite Answer

Firefighter here.

I would say nursing for you. They make lots of money, use math, help save lives, and have a professional medical background. Here is why you don't want to be a paramedic or EMT. It may seem rewarding, but you spend a lot of time telling dying or nearly dead people that they will be fine and you eventually develop negative aspect of life. If you become a paramedic, you might as well become a nurse, because when you start para-medicine you start learning at the level of a pre-med student (its tough). You might as well learn nursing and get paid more and do the same job (depending on your position in the staff). Yeah, its cool rolling up on scene and bringing certainty to an uncertain event, but there are two sides to it...you eventually become indifferent towards the people and it takes its toll.

I agree with the guy who said there is a lot of paperwork in detective work. Ive also heard from a detective that if your seeking a sense of accomplishment you should not do it. He said that you may solve a case or put someone in jail, but you will never have a sense of fulfillment because you will always want to solve the case better. You will always want to have every question answered but it rarely happens.

Become a nurse.

A detective does detective work, not a patrol officer or the paramedics or medicine field.

• tro

you need to determine where your skills lie you may like any or all of them but if you are a total clutz you won't work in any of them

• Tavy

A levels are UK.

To become a police officer you have to apply to your nearest Force IF they are recruiting. If you do get accepted you will spend at least 2 years on the beat. You take exams and apply to CID with hundreds of others, there is no guarantee you will be accepted.

I suggest you look online for the requirements of becoming a Police Officer in the UK.

Also Paramedic training.

Okay, so you need to ask yourself if you want to shoot people or patch them up more. That is, if you must choose between only one of two or more options. Being an EMT you (hopefully) wouldn't have people shooting at you, but you could help save lives once the shooting is over. Is there any reason you couldn't become an EMT (Paramedic) and then attend a police academy?

• Tavy
      2 years agoReport

Yes because she is in the UK and we dont shoot people here.

I can tell you that many patrol officers, who get promoted to detective, do NOT like all the paperwork involved. There are literally mountains of paperwork, interviews, and such to be completed to get ready for court cases. Everything has to be documented. And put in order. And kept organized.