Am I the only person who thinks Sammy Davis Jr. was a better singer than Frank Sinatra?

Favorite Answer

Sinatra's style influenced Sammy.

Like Judy Garland, Davis started in vaudeville as a very young child. IMO Garland would turn out to be the greatest entertainer of all time. Sing, Act, Dance all around performing. When she sang by time she was through, made you believe you could get up and do it as well. That is a performer.

Garland started out singing where Davis could hoof. Sinatra had his style and Davis developed his own. Frank was more grounded and sculptured as a singer, his pipes were fine tuned and yes his phrasing was phenomenal. I will say that Sammy was a more emotional singer, He could make you cry hearing What Kind Of Fool Am I.

Everybody will have their favorites and the era they came out of there was plenty of competition. Who is to say who is better. Sinatra wasn't the only great singer out of Hoboken, New Jersey. Try listening to Jimmy Roselli. Sinatra and his wrecking crew had all of his records removed out of every juke box in Jersey. You know damn well he was good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ALQtEFftdQ

Youtube thumbnail

And on the Italian songs that Sinatra did very few of Roselli would have blown Frank right off the stage. I mean what a voice and talk about having the Pipes! He had what John D. was talking about, That "Operatic Sense". An explosive one with a Neapolitan swagger to boot and his phrasing was also phenomenal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrUsEs00x4Y

Youtube thumbnail

No- I would agree with that- he had better range than Frank.

Yes you are. He was very talented guy but he didnt have a better voice than Frankie. Nobody ever called Sammy Davis a crooner and women didnt fall all over him when he sang.

No, but you're in a minority

• John

Technically maybe, yes. I've never thought Sinatra was any great singer in an "operatic" sense of tone and scale. He is renowned for his phrasing and maybe that is why he's on top. "I did it......... Myyyyyyy Weaaaayyyy" Personally I like him far more as an actor. I really liked Sinatra on screen.

I'm also on your side.---his live stages were extremely nice.

His great personalities are still living in my heart.

will everyone has his opinion but for me i still like frank sinatra more than sammy davis jr.

and sammy is better dancer showman by the way.