How to cope with being shame and being pitied?

10 years ago I dominated high school and everyone thought (including me) I would be a lawyer or therapist or doing something important.with my life. Fast forward 2 months I start college and make the deans list with perfect grades my first semester. But somewhere between my first and second semester the pressure... show more 10 years ago I dominated high school and everyone thought (including me) I would be a lawyer or therapist or doing something important.with my life. Fast forward 2 months I start college and make the deans list with perfect grades my first semester. But somewhere between my first and second semester the pressure finally got to me and I cracked. I fell into a deep depression failed my classes the second semester and I dropped out. Because of that the only jobs I could get were the ones you needed no skill to do so I did a six year stint as a shoe salesman.But then the store closed and the only job I could get is my current job as a glorified janitor for the supermarket in my town and everyone and their mother from my town shops there and every day I see people I graduated with and every time they see me they give a WTF look or a look of pity because they know I should have been someone by now. How can I cope with that and the shame it brings along?
3 answers 3