What's it like being raised in NYC?

I live very close to NYC, I am just over the boarder in Poconos of PA. Where I work, I get so many people DAILY come through my office from NYC looking for a job because they really want to move away from there. I remember telling one applicant one time that I LOVE NYC and I can't understand why I get so many... show more I live very close to NYC, I am just over the boarder in Poconos of PA. Where I work, I get so many people DAILY come through my office from NYC looking for a job because they really want to move away from there. I remember telling one applicant one time that I LOVE NYC and I can't understand why I get so many people a day who say they need to leave it, she just glared at me and stated "trust me, there's nothing to love about living there". I also had a friend who moved there right after high school. She only lasted about 2 years and then moved back in with her parents because it was that bad. It was always her dream to live there, so for her to say that means a lot, as well.

So, what the heck is it that's so terrible?
8 answers 8