Chris asked in HealthDental · 2 years ago

Does an already-dead tooth need a root canal?

So after getting a dental exam done for a job's medical clearance, the dentist informed me that I would need a root canal on one of my bottom righthand-side tooth. The dentist noted that tooth is likely "dead", and has been dead for 8-12 months already, given all the info he got from me.

But I do not feel any pain on that particular tooth, and I don't feel any sort of issue while eating or drinking around the area. So, do I really need a root canal to treat that tooth? As a student on a very basic dental insurance plan, I can't afford the root canal that this dentist is suggesting me to get (1650 for just one).

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 years ago
    Best Answer

A dead tooth will eventually need a root canal to clean out all the old nerves and tissue that will create an infection and then all kinds of problems. I mean if you want to keep your tooth. It is usually the cheapest procedure. Your other choice will eventually be pulling the tooth and having an implant or bridgework. Get it done.

• 2 years ago

Teeth are remarkably strong, but they can chip, crack (fracture) or break. This can happen in several ways:

Biting down on something hard

Being hit in the face or mouth

Falling

Having cavities that weaken the tooth

Having large, old amalgam fillings that don't support the remaining enamel of the tooth https://thepainreliefpractice.com/knee-pain/

When a tooth chips or breaks, it may not hurt. However, your tongue usually feels the sharp area quite quickly. Minor tooth fractures usually don't cause pain, but if a large piece of the tooth breaks off, it can hurt. The nerve inside the tooth may be damaged. Extreme discomfort also can happen when nerve endings in the dentin are exposed to air, or to hot or cold foods or drinks.

Pain from a broken or cracked tooth may be constant or may come and go. Many people feel pain when they chew because chewing puts pressure on the tooth.

• 2 years ago

Yes

• 2 years ago

Yes

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • S
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

you need to keep the tooth so yes get the root canal other wise the dead tooth will become infected and need to be removed.

• 2 years ago

Yes.

• k w
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

go to a holistic dentist for a second opinion

• Anonymous
    2 years ago

you just can't trust dentists any more , get a second opinion , the ONLY time you need a dentist is when teeth hurt

• 2 years ago

yes. root canal or extraction is the only option for a dead tooth

dead teeth don't hurt until the infection sets in.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.