Excel keeps changing my cell values when I use the Employee Absence template--online fixes not working! Please help!!?

I am using the employee absence template in Excel for a different purpose so I am changing the 1-31 dates in the brown bar to 1-5 repeating. Every time I try to change any number to 1, it corrects to 110. Likewise with other values. I am ready to rip my hair out. I've tried to override it by copy/paste and by... show more I am using the employee absence template in Excel for a different purpose so I am changing the 1-31 dates in the brown bar to 1-5 repeating. Every time I try to change any number to 1, it corrects to 110. Likewise with other values.

I am ready to rip my hair out. I've tried to override it by copy/paste and by changing the cell format to "text", but nothing is working. SOS!!