Red Admiral caterpillar care question?

I recently got a red admiral caterpillar from the farmers market, container has holes for air, some multch-y substance at the bottom, and I have a bag of food that Im keeping in the refrigerator to keep fresh. I replace the plant once it’s eaten about everything. The stem of the plants go through a hole at the... show more I recently got a red admiral caterpillar from the farmers market, container has holes for air, some multch-y substance at the bottom, and I have a bag of food that Im keeping in the refrigerator to keep fresh. I replace the plant once it’s eaten about everything. The stem of the plants go through a hole at the bottom of the container that contains water, which I’m assuming he will get from eating the plant. Now, to my question. I’ve had it for a few days and it’s been VERY active. Seems like all it does is eat and poop, I’m replacing plants often. Last night I put two nice tall plants in the container and a twig with a perch, hoping it would enjoy one of those to form his cocoon on. This morning there is no catterpillar in sight, and the plants I placed in there are completely drooped over. The angle that the plants are falling does not look like they fell because they were too heavy or weak, it honestly looks like something is pulling them down? I’ve noticed before that the caterpillar can make a silk substance, and it’s prettystrong. Could this be the caterpillars work? Is he keeping all the plants down for some reason? Is it trying to form its cocoon on the ground? If you think you know what it’s doing or can offer me any advice I’d really appreciate it. I’m not sure if it’s under the leaves or not and I’m afraid to move anything to find it because I don’t want to hurt it. How long should I wait before looking for him? Thank you. Just want to make sure it’s ok.
3 answers 3