Should a parent with celiac disease reduce gluten in his or her child's diet, even if the child doesn't have celiac but is predisposed?

I think it seems like a good idea, based on the Swedish Celiac Disease Epidemic in the 80s and 90s, where infants were given large amounts of gluten and as a result were more likely to develop the condition. Once celiac disease has been triggered, it is there for life and the only treatment is a strict lifelong... show more I think it seems like a good idea, based on the Swedish Celiac Disease Epidemic in the 80s and 90s, where infants were given large amounts of gluten and as a result were more likely to develop the condition. Once celiac disease has been triggered, it is there for life and the only treatment is a strict lifelong gluten free diet.

I really don't want children having to avoid gluten just because parents thought it would be a better idea to let their children consume large amounts of gluten at home. I would have thought they should keep it out of the house and let their kids eat gluten-containing treats and things when they're out at day care, etc.

My thoughts are that this would reduce the risk of celiac, given how immunogenic gluten peptides are. Seems to me like a smart thing to do.

What are your thoughts?