I am 19 and have zero credit history, what are some simple and foolproof ways that I can start to build an excellent credit score?

My mom and dad, particularly my dad, made some poor purchase decisions and as a result they have very bad credit which is difficult to turn around.. I've seen what it's like to be denied loan after loan and I don't want to go through that myself. Obviously I don't have a parent that can pass onto me... show more My mom and dad, particularly my dad, made some poor purchase decisions and as a result they have very bad credit which is difficult to turn around.. I've seen what it's like to be denied loan after loan and I don't want to go through that myself. Obviously I don't have a parent that can pass onto me wisdom regarding personal finance, so I would very much appreciate any advice from kind (and preferably well to do) strangers on the internet. Thank you!