What do you do if you see a child being abused in the grocery store?

I saw this mom being really physically rough with her 5 year old and saying some really nasty things to her. It felt like this child might be getting abused at home. How do you take action in a situation like this. You can t confront the mom, and by the time you call the police, they would be gone. I was thinking... show more I saw this mom being really physically rough with her 5 year old and saying some really nasty things to her. It felt like this child might be getting abused at home.

How do you take action in a situation like this. You can t confront the mom, and by the time you call the police, they would be gone.

I was thinking about following them to their car and taking a picture of their license plate, make and model and calling the sheriff, but I didn t think of that till it was too late.

What would you do?