Is there a good material to put between wood pieces that would keep them from being worn down?

I'm working on a project that involves making a "skeleton" like figure. I'm using wood for the pieces, but I've found that when I make a joint (a simple hinge joint) and tighten it, the wood eventually wears itself down and the joint gets loose again. This wouldn't be a big deal normally,... show more I'm working on a project that involves making a "skeleton" like figure. I'm using wood for the pieces, but I've found that when I make a joint (a simple hinge joint) and tighten it, the wood eventually wears itself down and the joint gets loose again.
This wouldn't be a big deal normally, but I need them to stay tight! If I lift an arm or a leg, it should stay in the air (because I tightened the joint so much). But again, after a little bit of flexing, the wood gets worn down and the joint just turns floppy.
Would putting something like a plastic or metal washer between the wood pieces keep them from being worn down but still keep enough friction to keep the joint tight?
Update: Felt works great! Thanks!