HOA is making me install a wood shake roof but I want to install solar panels?

​I just bought an attached house (PUD) in Fremont. The community was built in 1978. All the houses in the community have wood shake roofs and the HOA dictates that they just be replaced with Wood Shake. My roof is definitely due for replacement (there are small holes in the sheathing and panels have fallen off). I... show more ​I just bought an attached house (PUD) in Fremont. The community was built in 1978. All the houses in the community have wood shake roofs and the HOA dictates that they just be replaced with Wood Shake. My roof is definitely due for replacement (there are small holes in the sheathing and panels have fallen off).
I also wish to install solar panels on my roof (it has always been a dream of mine).
There is another house in the community that replaced their roof with composite shingle but the HOA made them take it down. Now the house is sitting there without a roof, but just tarp.
While Fremont doesn t prohibit solar panel installation on any specific type of roof, every solar panel contractor I ve talked to will not install on a wood shake roof. They all recommend tile or composite shingle.
While California Law prohibits HOAs from preventing solar panel installations, how do I fight this issue to get the HOA to approve my roof to be replaced with composite shingle? They would not be directly denying my solar panel installation but the reality is, I cannot install it with a wood shake roof.
Roofing contractors I ve talked to also do not like wood shake as they state that insurance companies don t like it due to the fire hazard.
Update: to calrify: Fremont, California