hi asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 2 years ago

French Help?!?

I need help understanding the verbs ettre avoir and faire with sone examples please

• Pontus
    Best Answer

I assume you are learning only the present tense (indicative mood), and know all the subject pronouns.

All three are irregular verbs. Nevertheless, there is a semblance of a pattern for each one, to some degree. Note the similarities and differences.

1. être - to be.

Je suis américain. I am American.

Tu es là-bas. You are over there.

Il est chez lui. He is home.

Nous sommes contents. We are happy.

Vous êtes triste. You are sad.

Ils sont à l'intérieur. They are inside.

Comment est-il? What is he/it like? (NOT: How is he?, even though that's what the literal translation is. How is he? - is expressed a different way).

2. avoir - to have

J'ai une fille. I have a daughter.

Tu as un chien. You have a dog.

Il a faim ? (Is he hungry? But literally: He has hunger? That's why it's avoir and not être. The French do not say: He is hungry)

Nous avons soif. We are thristy (We have thirst).

Vous avez chaud ? Are you hot/warm? (You have heat? - but meaning your body/your comfort)

Ils ont froid. They are cold (They have cold). Ils ont des crayons. They have (some) pencils.

There are many special expressions with avoir. You have to learn them over time. Too many to list all of them.

3. faire (to do/make - the French do not make a distinction). Note that "do" can also be a helping verb in English, to make questions, negatives, negative questions, or to emphasize affirmative statements. French does not use faire for that at all. Do you work? He doesn't work. He does work. French does not use faire to express any of that. It does not mean DO as a helping verb, only as a main verb. (There are also many special expressions with faire)

Je fais un sandwich. I'm making a sandwich.

Tu fais tes devoirs ? Are you doing your homework? (You do/make the homework?)

Il fait beau. It's nice out. / It's good weather. (Literally, It makes beautiful). Il fait froid. It's cold out. (It makes cold). not - He's cold.

Nous faisons beaucoup de choses. We're doing a lot of things.

Vous faites les achats. You're going shopping (You do/make the purchases).

Ils font tout. They do everything.

note: In English, you can say things like: Do you like movies? Yes, I do (like them). do - is a helping verb, but the main verb can be left out if understood from context. You can't use faire that way (generally speaking). (You like movies? Yes, [I like them]. -- are the French equivalents).

4. reminder: avoir, faire, and être can appear in expressions that are translated by different words in English, as noted above. Don't confuse them. I have listed only some example expressions. All three verbs have a ton of special uses, which you will learn in time if you continue with French.

Source(s): taught French; native English speaker
  • Cymry

être - to be, avoir - to have, faire - to do. Je suis Anglaise - I am English. J'ai deux enfants - I have two children. Je fais la lessive chaque Lundi - I do the washing every Monday.

_ Avoir = to have. Examples in present tense:

Je mange / I eat

Tu as une fourchette / you have a fork

J'apprends le français / I learn French

• Link for know the conjugation of ' avoir ': http://www.french-linguistics.co.uk/verbs/table/av...

_______________________________________

_ Étre = to be. Ex in present tense:

Je suis malade / I'm sick

Il va là-bas / he goes over there

Elles vont voir un film en ville / they go see a movie down town.

• Link for the conjugation of ' être ': http://www.french-linguistics.co.uk/verbs/table/%E...

_______________________________________

_ Faire / to do. Ex in present tense:

Je fais un gâteau / I make a cake

Nous le faisons savoir au monde entier / We let the whole world know.

Vous faites de jolies choses / You are doing nice things.

• Link for the conjugation of ' faire ': http://www.french-linguistics.co.uk/verbs/table/fa...

_______________________________________

◘ The links also give the pronunciation, although I couldn't test it with my French browser, since it doesn't work. Maybe / I hope it works for you.