Thraix
Thraix asked in TravelUnited StatesSt. Louis · 2 years ago

Giving St Louis a chance?

I recently got a job which lies about ~20 min east of Downtown St. Louis. I was considering renting a place which is a block or two north of the St Louis Public Library. I am hesitant though. The experience I have with cities the size of St. Louis is few, and I am originally from a small, sheltered suburb. Statistically, it looks as though STL is 1000x more dangerous than my hometown. Am I making a big deal out of nothing, or should I consider St Louis only as a place to visit?

Favorite Answer

I wouldn’t live anywhere close to downtown St. Louis. It’s dangerous as hell. Look at the stores. They’re dilapidated. That’s a sign that the area isn’t safe. Spend a night at a hotel in downtown and look out the hotel window after sunset. Lights go out. Businesses are close. It’s a ghost town. Another sign that it’s not safe.

If you want to live in a safe neighborhood, live in St. Louis County like Creve Couer, Webster Groves, Clayton, Baldwin, University City (Washington University side. The Delmar side isn’t that safe).

• Daniel
      2 years agoReport

Kind of pointless to live in West County and commute all the way to the Metro East, though.

• Daniel

20 minutes east of St Louis is roughly O'Fallon Illinois. Just get a place there. It is much nicer and you won't have to deal with the commute. The Metrolink has gone to hell and I wouldn't want to ride that every day, even if you were working at Scott AFB and getting free train passes.

East of St. Louis, as in across the river in Indiana? The nicest area in St. Louis is west, in the university area. Or the small towns like St. Charles.

• Daniel
      2 years agoReport

You missed the entire state of Illinois. You have to drive 2 hours or so through Illinois before you hit Indiana.

I visited St. Louis one time.

After seeing the arch, the wife and I decided to venture out a little bit. North of the arch was just shut down factories, so we decided to cross the river to take some pictures of the arch from a distance. That was a mistake.

We stopped at, what I think was an elevated train track that had stairs going up to it from a parking lot. This was directly across from the casino boat in front of the arch. A local vagrant told us we don't belong there, so we decided to heed his warning and left. We decided to leave and go to Chicago instead. I grew up in Chicago, so at least I knew where to go and where to avoid.

On our way out, we passed through East St. Louis, and somehow wound up in a little town, population 729, called Bronx. We stopped for a red light, and all of a sudden, maybe 7-8 locals walking around threw their arms up like they were saying "what's up", but not in a friendly way, and started walking towards our car. We ran the red light and took off.

• Daniel
      2 years agoReport

You were in Brooklyn, IL, not Bronx, IL (there is no such place). Why you were there, and not on I-55, is beyond me.