promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsAstronomy & Space · 2 years ago

Could Uranus explode?

Aren’t trace amounts of oxygen on Uranus? Couldn’t that make it ignite and explode? What would happen to earth if it did?

14 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 years ago
    Favorite Answer

The atmosphere of Uranus is mainly hydrogen and helium. As a random atom or molecule of oxygen bumps into a hydrogen molecule, they may combine to form a water molecule. Combustion requires a high concentration of oxygen, and a certain amount of heat to get it going (so that the molecules are actually moving FAST). Short answer: no possibility of an explosion there.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 2 years ago

You would have to pump it up with oxygen first.

Cheers!

• Anonymous
    2 years ago

No there are not trace amounts of oxygten in planet Uranus' atmosphere. uranus is not going to explode../

"..."I think poor Uranus is misunderstood, actually," planetary scientist Amy Simon said on NASA's Gravity Assist podcast. "Uranus is very bland in appearance most of the time. It's kind of a pale blue planet. It's the real pale blue dot."

Traces of hydrocarbons are also present in the air around Uranus. Ices made up of water, ammonia, and possibly methane also exist in the atmosphere.

Atmospheric composition by volume:

Molecular hydrogen: 82.5 percent

Helium: 15.2 percent

Methane: 2.3 percent..."

https://www.space.com/18708-uranus-atmosphere.html

Sarcasm FAIL. I am usually more explosive when i first get out bed in the morning than Uranus ever will be..

• Bill-M
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

NO. Oxygen by itself is inert.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Athena
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

No because Oxygen SUPPORTS combustion but is not combustible.

• John P
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

There are more than "trace amounts" of oxygen in the air around your head and around my head! The atmosphere of Earth consists of approximately one fifth oxygen - it is what enables most life to exist (and fire to burn, etc) on this planet.

• Anonymous
    2 years ago

Mine was about to explode but then I joined Weight Watchers.

• 2 years ago

Trace amounts mean not a lot so it's not an issue. Uranus is cold so there isn't any chance to ignite anything. Even if there was, the atmosphere has stronger gravity, which means certain gasses have to be heated higher to ignite.

• 2 years ago

N

• Anonymous
    2 years ago

No. Your body has plenty of oxygen but is not in danger of spontaneously exploding either.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.